America's Other Drug Problem:
A Briefing Book on the Rx Drug Debate
*Updated April 2003
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and read these documents. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, you can access this free software by clicking on the graphic. You will only have to complete this process once.
America's Other Drug Problem: A Briefing Book on the Rx Drug Debate is a comprehensive resource guide about the prescription drug issues that are at the center of the legislative debates in Congress and state capitals around the country.
It includes information on the following topics:
- The extent and type of prescription drug coverage held by Americans;
- Facts about the overall increased spending on drugs and rising drug prices, including international price comparisons;
- The extent of advertising and marketing of prescription drugs, with a special focus on direct-to-consumer advertising;
- Drug company profits, including a historical analysis and cross-industry comparisons;
- The cost of researching and developing new drugs, including a critique of industry claims and the therapeutic importance of new drugs;
- Taxpayer subsidies for the drug industry, including cross-industry comparisons;
- Patent protections for new drugs and patent extension tricks for older drugs that are used to delay generic competition; and
- Campaign contributions and lobbying spending by the drug industry.
To view the resource guide, please click here.
Because Public Citizen does not accept funds from corporations, professional associations or government agencies,
we can remain independent and follow the truth wherever it may lead. But that means we
depend on the generosity of concerned citizens like you for the resources to fight on
behalf of the public interest. If you would like to help us in our fight,